The YMCA Lifeguard Certification course is designed to provide participants the knowledge and skills necessary to be a lifeguard and professional rescuer. The course covers safety skills, accident prevention, scanning, guarding techniques, emergency systems, rescue skills, first aid in aquatic environments, spinal injury management, open water dangers, legal responsibilities, pool maintenance basics, and information on how to get a job as a lifeguard. In addition to the YMCA Lifeguard certification, participants will also be certified in American Safety and Health Institute’s (ASHI) courses: CPR Pro (BLS) for the Professional Rescuer, Basic First Aid for the Community, and Emergency Oxygen Administration. Course schedules are made prior to each course, however the instructor reserves the right to modify dates and times due to any unforeseen circumstances. All materials are provided, however students are responsible for their own bathing suit, towel, and writing utensils.
The YMCA hires lifeguards year round. We offer competitive pay, a free Community-Wide YMCA membership and the potential for a full refund of the lifeguard course certification fees.
- Candidates must be 16 years old by the last day of the scheduled course
- 100% attendance is MANDATORY (non-negotiable). Each class will consist of classroom and pool activities
- The YMCA instructor reserves the right to dismiss participants based on their skill and/or maturity level
- Attendance, full participation, and successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required
- An orientation for all students and the parents of any students under the age of 18 will be held on the first day of the class. This will include both classroom and pool work, so please bring your swimsuit and a towel. Goggles are also permitted.
C8: August 10, 2020 – August 14, 2020 (MTWR)
ORIENTATION – August 5, 2020 @ 6:30pm-8:00pm
- August 10, 2020 9:00am-5:00pm
- August 11, 2020 9:00am-5:00pm
- August 12, 2020 9:00am-5:00pm
- August 13, 2020 9:00am-5:00pm
- August 14, 2020 9:00am-1:00pm (TENTATIVE MAKEUP DATE)
Listed in the document below are the acceptable prerequisite courses if you are taking a crossover class at the Telford YMCA